Tutorials on this blog related to Japanese charted crochet and knitting patterns:
- lesson 1
- lesson 2
- lesson 3a crochet
- lesson 3b knitting
- lesson 4a crochet
- lesson 4b knitting
- lesson 5b knitting
- guide to Japanese fonts
- shaping tutorial (how to make sense of all the numbers at the edges of Japanese schematics)
Great guides/tutorials from other sites:
- Phretys’ amazing blog: Japanese Knit and Crochet Pattern Help – here you’ll find needle and hook conversion charts, Tunisian crochet symbols, Japanese seam types, and many other very useful resources.
- snuffykins’ crochet hook conversion chart (US – Japanese – UK)
- ABCs of Knitting – basics of Japanese knitting
- Their “how to read Japanese graphical knitting charts” tutorial is quite nice.
- Clearwater Knits’ very detailed tutorial on using schematic patterns (geared towards machine knitters but helpful for hand knitters as well)
- Tezukuritown’s illustrated knitting symbols and crochet symbols (note: Tezukuritown is a craft website belong to Nihon Vogue)
- Pierrot Yarns’ knitting symbol video tutorials
Last but not least, probably the best place on the internet for help with Japanese knitting & crochet patterns is the friendly Japanese knitting & crochet group on Ravelry.