Catching up

I keep forgetting to update here, so it’s about time to get caught up on what I’ve been doing since mid-December.

The Soy Cardi is finished at long last! The hems, neckband, and button bands are in hurdle rib, which I dug up from Epstein’s Knitting on the Edge book. I had a tough time finding buttons locally that were a) ugly, b) so cheap-looking that they’d fall apart in five minutes, or c) in some god-awful color. Eventually I found some light blue-green buttons that’ll do the trick, though.

My camera’s focus is getting increasingly fuzzy after I dropped it out in the field this summer, so this picture was the best I could do:

Two weeks ago, I spent a few hours working on a Dale baby sweater that I started in the summer of 2005 and never finished. Now the body and first sleeve finished, but I put it aside for a while to work on the Soy Cardi. I knit a few rows here and there on the second sleeve, so eventually I’ll get it done. Then I just have to sew in the sleeves, knit on a neckline, and sew on some buttons.

The pattern is from Dale of Norway, baby book #110, pattern #11001. The yarn is Microspun and I’m using US 3 for the body (US 1 for cuffs).

I also crocheted another Tawashi, this time using scraps of pink and blue kitchen cotton:


One of the other things I’ve been doing is tinkering with my knitting machine, making lots of swatches and testing out techniques. The only useful item I’ve made lately is a preemie hat, using a pattern kindly given to me by a fellow knitter.

It was very quick to knit, but that’s not too surprising since it’s absolutely tiny. I used some leftover bits of Dale Baby Ull (probably less than 1/4 of a skein). I think I’ll just knit these caps up with spare bits of yarn every now and then, and then just donate a bunch of them to the NICU.

Now I’m working on mitered squares knit from scraps of leftover sock yarn. I got the idea from Susy Ranner, who made a very helpful video showing how she’s making striped mitered squares. I’m not going to do stripes, but I think it’s a very nice way of using up sock yarn leftovers. Once I have enough squares, they’ll be seamed into a blanket.

So, that’s about it. I’ll write more about my knitting machine experimentation later.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Catching up

  1. Thanks, Monique! Unfortunately, I ran out of time to seam the Microspun baby cardi (had to go back to grad school). I ended up leaving it at my parents’ house, so it’ll have to wait until summer to get sewn together.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s